My inspiration for these blondies was the coconut-pecan frosting that topped the best cake I have ever eaten, a.k.a. my to-die-for seventeenth birthday cake (German Chocolate made by my very own dad!). The coconut-pecan frosting was finger-lickin’ good, and I wanted to bring the same buttery warmth of the frosting to today’s blondies.
As I was about to scrape this blondie batter (only coconut and toasted pecans mixed in) into the baking dish, I stopped. I thought the blondies needed a little something else: an ingredient that would balance out the buttery coconut and pecans. German Chocolate Cake with Coconut-Pecan Frosting…semi-sweet chocolate would do just the trick!
Below is a basic recipe for blondies. Have fun mixing in your favorites!
Basic Blondies, recipe from smittenkitchen.com
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
For Chocolate, Coconut, & Toasted Pecan Blondies, add 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate (chips or chopped baking bar), 3/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut, and 1/2 cup toasted pecans to the Basic Blondie recipe.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8″ x 8″ or 9″ x 9″ square baking dish.
2. Blend melted butter and brown sugar until well combined and smooth.
3. Beat in egg and vanilla until incorporated.
4. Stir in flour and salt.
5. Mix in any additions, such as chocolate, coconut, and toasted pecans.
6. Spread batter into prepared baking dish, and bake for 20-25 minutes (baking time may need to be adjusted depending on pan size), or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Note: The middle of the blondies may not look cooked, even though a toothpick comes out clean. Trust the toothpick; they are done.
How to Toast Pecans (or Nuts)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
2. Chop pecans or other nuts into desired size. The nuts may also be left whole; however, I prefer to chop nuts before toasting, as I know the exact amount and will not have leftovers.
3. Place nuts on a cookie sheet, and bake in pre-heated oven for about 5 minutes. When the nuts can be smelled (not burning!), they are done.
How to Make Brown Sugar
Buy brown sugar no more! Making homemade brown sugar is so simple; only two ingredients and one step required: mix white sugar and molasses using an electric or hand-held mixer until the molasses is thoroughly incorporated into the white sugar and appears like brown sugar.
- For light brown sugar, use one cup white sugar and one Tablespoon molasses (yielding one cup brown sugar)
- For dark brown sugar, use one cup white sugar and two Tablespoons molasses (yielding one cup brown sugar)
Happy Father’s Day!